I am a small marquetry shop, and I am seeking advice from any who have experience with applying paper backing to veneer. When I use fragile burls, or need to crosscut things that are very thin on a table saw, or glue things that have unpredictable expansion characteristics, I often glue them to more stable veneers before cutting out the marquetry and assembling. I dont ordinarily use paper backed veneer, I think it is a weak link in the chain of laminations, and therefore a liability, but using twice as much veneer is not cost effective for some projects, so I am considering using something like whats applied to a lot of commercial veneers, or for joining large sheets. I believe whats used for that is something that used to be called 'yorkite', a vulcanized paper that is pretty durable. There are similar things marketed now, but its expensive to ship a full roll. Id appreciate any advice from anyone who has used a vulcanized paper for veneer backing, and any notions about its longevity as a permanent layer between a veneer and birch ply substrate. Supplier in the NW USA? Thanks...
Paper backing for veneer - Yorkite?
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire