Hi folks. Im Fred Skelly. This is my 1st post on SMC's metalworking forum. I normally hang out on the woodworking side of the house. Could you please give me some advice?
Id like to fashion some irons for wooden molding planes from O1 steel that has already been annealed. I need to shape the 7-8" long tangs and that seems like its going to be a real drag with a hacksaw because I'll be cutting a
1/4" tang out of a 1" wide strip of O1. I'm guessing Ill get a lot of distortion of the part and it needs to be flat. So I was thinking Id like to perhaps buy a small benchtop woodworking bandsaw and put a metal-cutting blade on it.
1) Is that a credible idea or is it likely to end in failure?
2) If you think it would be ok, can you suggest an appropriate brand, tpi and source?
3) If it's a dumb idea, where could I get a small benchtop metalcutting BS? Even HF seems to only offer either a floor model or a handheld model. Nothing small and benchtop unless I buy a woodworking BS.
Thanks for giving me a hand!
Fred
Id like to fashion some irons for wooden molding planes from O1 steel that has already been annealed. I need to shape the 7-8" long tangs and that seems like its going to be a real drag with a hacksaw because I'll be cutting a
1/4" tang out of a 1" wide strip of O1. I'm guessing Ill get a lot of distortion of the part and it needs to be flat. So I was thinking Id like to perhaps buy a small benchtop woodworking bandsaw and put a metal-cutting blade on it.
1) Is that a credible idea or is it likely to end in failure?
2) If you think it would be ok, can you suggest an appropriate brand, tpi and source?
3) If it's a dumb idea, where could I get a small benchtop metalcutting BS? Even HF seems to only offer either a floor model or a handheld model. Nothing small and benchtop unless I buy a woodworking BS.
Thanks for giving me a hand!
Fred
General Metalworking Can I "make" a small benchtop metal-cutting bandsaw?
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire