When do YOU use your different sized smoothers?

jeudi 19 février 2015

Most of what I use my planes for so far is smoothing. Id sure love to hear when folks here use their various smoothers. The kinds of jobs you do with them, when YOU choose one over the other and why, when you might switch from a larger one to a smallr (or vice versa).



The backstory: Ive learned planes by trial/error/brute force and Ive developed a crude, unsophisticated approach - if the plane isnt taking shavings, its probably too long or too wide and is riding any small "hills" that I didnt perfectly remove before smoothing. So I change to the next smaller plane and repeat. That usually works - brute force. (So far, I havent been a maniac about perfect flatness - if its not obvious that theres a bit of hills/valleys, I havent worried it much. I never use high gloss or Id have to be more precise of course.)



Try not to laugh too hard guys. I know there is far more to it than Ive learned so far. But the books and articles Ive read dont seem to teach this. So Id sure appreciate hearing about when you use YOUR various sized smoothers as a way to improve my own use. In case it matters, I have a WR #1 (no, it doesnt get used a lot but I like it), Stanley #2, WR #3, MF #9 (essentially #4) and a LV BUS (which is roughly a #4 1/2). I probably use the MF#9 the most, unless Im working something small, in which case Im probably using the #2.



Thanks very much!

Fred

(404)

When do YOU use your different sized smoothers?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels