Butternut bowls

vendredi 20 février 2015

At a recent 'Art in Wood' event I picked up a piece of dry butternut that was about 8" x 16" by 3 1/2" and cut two bowl blanks from it. The pith had been maybe 1/2"-3/4" from the surface and well centered on the blanks. As an experiment I turned a bowl in each orientation (pith at top and pith at bottom).



For those who have never turned butternut, this stuff tears out as bad as any punky, spalted wood I have ever turned. I definitely had to break out the 80 grit gouge! :eek: :mad: Like well spalted wood, the appearance made it worth while or the second bowl would not have been turned.

DSC_2136.jpgDSC_2135.jpgDSC_2134.jpg

Turned pith at top, notice the rays inside the bowl and the pattern in the bottom. Middle picture shows some of the chatoyance the wood displays.


Attached Images



(45a)

Butternut bowls

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels