Advice for all you folks with College students

jeudi 19 février 2015

Have them take some class, external program, practice on how to interview.



I just spend a day at a recruitment event at a state university near here. We knew going in that we would likely not find any college students with the IT technologies we needed, they are just too specific. The intent was to get some grads with the basics in IT, and some basic social and learning skills to be able to be taught what we do. The results were damning to the education system.



Again, finding the right technical skills were off the table. All I was looking for was some entry level kids that could string together 12 words into a coherent sentence. I asked for their experiences, expectations, dreams. All I got back was blank stares. They babbled incoherently, couldn't develop a rational story and seemed unprepared for the basic questions. There were over 200 companies at the event, I could not have been the first person to ask these fundamental questions. Oddly, the exchange students from overseas did far better even though English would probably be their second language.



And the wardrobes. I wouldn't be seen buying fertilizer at Menard's in some of the outfits they were wearing! The ladies did better for the most part. I don't expect a $700 suit, but at least clean up a bit. Someone should be directing these kids. Come on parents! Either you or the kid just spent thousands on a college degree, at least help them pay for it.



So either get after your education professionals, high schools, colleges, universities, to give these kids some basic interviewing skills (or take charge yourself). How to dress, how to prepare... yes prepare ahead of time. Don't wait until the question is answered to have your first thought of the month. I think its the Xbox/Smartphone generation. Head down, social interaction in 160 character chunks. I was a miserable dork at that age, but I know I could carry on a conversation with an adult, formulate a thought, and present it rationally. These skills count in any arena, and from my experience, are not being taught.

(1c7)

Advice for all you folks with College students

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels